A healthy twist on a favorite from McDonalds is this sandwich. This is my rendition of the Egg McMuffin Sandwich. I’ve switched from using Thomas’ Original English Muffins to the Thomas’® Light Multi-Grain English Muffins. These muffins each have 100 calories with 8g of fiber, 5g of protein and less than 1g of sugar. When you’re on a 1200 calorie per day plan, these work wonders for keeping you full.
The sandwich is made with egg and Canadian bacon. No fat is used to cook the egg or the bacon. Here are my steps which all together take less than 15 minutes to make:
- Use a fork to split the english muffin, then put it to toast while you start on the egg
- Spray the fry pan and Egg Ring with non-stick cooking spray (a 3″ or larger round metal cookie cutter can be used)
- Beat the egg with salt and black pepper
- Pour beaten egg into ring
- Add just enough water (1/8 cup or less) to the pan outside of the ring for steaming then cover and cook
- When egg is cooked, remove from the pan
- Cook the bacon in the same pan without adding any more cooking spray
- Build your sandwich. You can add cheese if you like.
Voila! Breakfast is served. I paired this sandwich today with Creole Hot Chocolate. Yum!